Gene Davis's Hot Beat is part of the Smithsonian American Art Museum's permanent collection. Davis was quoted saying, "it seemed to feel right, as we entered the sixties, to have color that leaped right off the wall... it's almost as if I wanted to shout, rather than whisper." The bold, colorful vertical lines of his painting are translated into horizontal, concentric bands wrapped around the tapered silhouette of the Retro 51 Tornado rollerball.
Each pen in the Tornado Smithsonian collection has the Smithsonian name engraved on the top ring below the knurled twist-top. A serial number (not limited) is also engraved on the ring. The top disc features the Smithsonian logo. Each pen includes an educational insert that tells the history of each writing instrument design.
Retro 51 Tornado Smithsonian Shuttle Discovery Rollerball Pen Specifications
- Edition: Open numbered edition. Each piece is numbered but not limited to a particular number of total pieces in this edition.
- Finish: Printed on color barrel
- Trim: Polished chrome trims
- Knurled twist-top with the edition number engraved on the top ring.
- Refill: Rollerball Refill REF5P/REF57P, can also adapt to Ballpoint Conversion REF71 Easy Flow (sold separately)
- Smithsonian Logo printed on the top disc
- Pen Length: 5 in. / 125mm
- Pen Barrel Diameter: 0.45 in. / 12mm
- Pen Weight: 1 oz / 28g
- Matching graphic tube packaging.