On the 10th of June 1943, brothers Laszlo and Gyorgy Biro obtained the patent for the ballpoint pen. The invention changed the world of writing forever. Today, we celebrate National Ballpoint Pen Day with a special Top 5 list and a giveaway!
Kiran joins Tom to share her Top 5 Ballpoint pens of 2019. As you might know from watching his pen reviews, Tom is more of a fountain pen enthusiast, so it's hard to convince him to write with anything otherwise. Kiran argues that everyone needs or has a ballpoint pen in their writing arsenal because you never know when you need one in a pinch to write on paper that isn't "fountain pen friendly."
So, we talk about a list of pens that are suitable for fountain pen enthusiasts for a variety of reasons. Here is the top 5 list of pens with a few main takeaways for each pen. Scroll on below to find the form where you can enter for a chance to win a Sailor 1911 ballpoint pen as part of our Ballpoint Pen Day Celebration!
# 5 Parker Jotter Ballpoint Pen (Shop Now)
(Jotter London Architecture shown above)
- This pen has been around since the 1950s and is a true part of our American history.
- Over 750 Million jotters have been made since then.
- Smooth flow writing and the click action in undeniably addicting.
- It engraves beautifully and comes in a nice gift box.
# 4 Fisher Space Pen Bullet Pen (Shop Now)
(FSP Bullet Pen in Purple with clip shown above)
- This company is famous for its pressurized refill invented by Paul Fisher in 1966 for NASA to use in the Apollo 7 Mission in 1968.
- The patented ballpoint refill can be used in temperatures from -30 to +250 degrees Fahrenheit underwater, on greasy surfaces and of course in zero gravity space.
- Compact size can go with you anywhere.
- Cap elongates the pen, giving it a nice balance in hand.
- The "Bullet Pen" offers a wide array of vibrant colors.
# 3 Sailor 1911 Ballpoint Pen (Shop Now)
(Sailor 1911 Large Maroon Ballpoint Pen shown above)
- Proprietary Refill Made by Sailor that's quick-drying and won't smudge.
- Buttery smooth writing experience glides on the surface of the paper.
- Twist Action Ballpoint mechanism
- Luxurious Pen with a nice feel and weight.
- Looks like a Montblanc at the fraction of the price.
# 2 Retro 1951 Tornado Rollerball / Ballpoint Pen (Shop Now)
(Retro 51 x Goldspot Pens Tornado London Skyline Exclusive, now sold-out)
- Comes in an array of whimsical designs including Limited Editions
- Goldspot has collaborated with Retro to create a number of exclusives too. Most are sold out but we still have my favorite, "Coffee"
- Uses German-made Schmidt refills for smooth effortless writing.
- Compatible with capless gel ink or Easyflow 9000 ballpoint pen refill.
- Capless rollerball refill can be "hacked" to use fountain pen ink.
# 1 Caran d'Ache 849 Ballpoint Pen (Shop Now)
(Caran d'Ache 849 Dark Teal Goldspot Pens exclusive shown above)
- Swiss Made, The hexagonal barrel makes this pen easy to grip.
- Smooth push-action. No obnoxious clicking sound.
- Lots of colors and styles to choose from to suit your own particular style.
- Limited editions like the Nespresso collaboration and with designers like Paul Smith.
- The high-capacity Goliath refill sets this pen apart from other ballpoints. It writes up to 600 A4 pages smoothly from start to finish.
Thanks for checking out the Top 5 ballpoint pens of 2019 list. Let us know what you think in the comments below and don't forget to enter our giveaway for a Sailor 1911 ballpoint pen using the form below. Deadline for entries is Friday, June 14th at 11:59pm Eastern US Time.