Maki-e is the art of Japanese lacquer painting and is renowned for
its beauty and artistry. The Pelikan “Kingfisher” Maki-e fountain pen
uses Togidashi-Taka-Maki-e that combines both Taka-Maki-e and
Kingfisher is a small bird that lives near the waterside. The kingfisher
has a long, dagger-like beak. The plumage of most kingfishers
is bright, with green and blue being the most common colors. In
Japanese, it is also called jade or blue gemstone because of its
bright colors. Kingfishers are capable of compensating for the
refraction of water and reflection when hunting prey underwater,
and are able to judge depth under water accurately. The name of
Kingfisher is named after a fish master who preys on small fish
On the fountain pen, two beautiful Kingfishers are vividly painted
on the background of burning red autumn leaves. The motive
fantastically expresses a colorful scene in the autumn of Japan.
The “Kingfisher” is a masterpiece that combines the craftsmanship of Pelikan Germany based on 180 years of tradition and
technology coupled with superior Japanese traditional Maki-e
Each pen has the Pelikan logo on the crown,
a limited edition number, and the artist’s signature drawn in by
hand using Maki-e techniques. The “Kingfisher“ is limited to an
edition of 123 pieces worldwide. Each fountain pen is equipped
with an 18 carat, two-tone gold nib and is encased in a traditional
Japanese pen box made of paulownia wood.
Pelikan Maki-e Kingfisher Limited Edition Fountain Pen Specifications
- Limited and numbered edition of 123 pieces worldwide.
- Finish: Togidashi-Taka-Maki-e technique body and cap including raden and kirikane gold leaf.
- Trim: Gold-plated beak clip, trim rings and cap finial.
- Nib: 18kt gold, two-tone nib.
- Filling Mechanism: Piston-filling (bottled ink only). See remaining ink level with the tinted ink window.
- Pen Length, Closed: 5.75 in. / 146mm
- Pen Length, Open (Cap Off): 5.31 in. / 135mm
- Pen Length, Open (Cap Posted): 6.97 in. / 177mm
- Pen Barrel Diameter: 0.55 in. / 14mm
- Pen Grip Section Diameter: 0.47 in. / 12mm
- Pen Weight: 1.1 oz. / 33g
- Packaged in a traditional Japanese gift box made of paulowina wood.