Starting a journey toward a monumental goal is never easy. Many give up when the going gets tough and the initial enthusiasm sags. That's when mental fortitude and resolve are needed to endure. The Japanese Daruma doll embodies the proverb Nana Korobi Ya Oki (fall seven, rise eight) because no matter how many attempts are made to knock over the doll, it will rise up again.
Inspired by the legend of the Bodhidharma's indomitable willpower, the Daruma doll became a cultural tradition in Japan's Edo period. The owner would begin a journey toward their goal by drawing in the doll's one eye. This is known as “Kai Gen” (Opening the Eye.). The second eye is drawn in when the goal is achieved, and this is referred to as “Man-Gan” (Full Wish).
With painstaking artistry and craftsmanship, Namiki recreates the symbolism of the Daruma doll using traditional Japanese Maki-e painting techniques. Each Namiki Daruma fountain pen is handcrafted by exceptionally trained Maki-e artisans. Manifest your hopes and dreams using the 18kt gold, #10 size nib that fills by ink cartridge or converter (a CON-70 converter is included). To complete the luxury of this 800-piece limited edition, Namiki packages the Daruma in a wooden box with a leather pen wrap.
Each Daruma doll is painted a different color to signify the particular wishes that accompany the user on their journey.
Yellow: Monetary fortune, Fame, Good luck
Blue: Success, Independence, Promotion
Red: Family Safety, Victories, Good luck
Green: Health, unlocking one's potential, Increasing athletic potential
Black: Protection against bad luck and natural disasters, economic surplus.
Namiki Yukari Maki-e Daruma 2020 Limited Edition Fountain Pen Specifications
- Finish: Maki-e painting with gold dust over Urushi-lacquered ebonite.
- Cap: Screw off cap with gold clip
- Trim: Yellow gold trim
- Nib: Two-tone, No. 10 size, 18K Gold Nib
- Filling System: Cartridge/Converter uses Pilot proprietary ink cartridges (included) as well as a CON-70 converter (also included)
- Pen Length Closed: 5.6 in. / 142.5mm
- Pen Length Open, Cap Off: 5.1 in. / 129mm
- Pen Length Open, Cap Posted: 6.3 in. / 161mm
- Pen Barrel Diameter: 0.5 in. / 12mm
- Pen Section Diameter: 0.4 in. / 10mm
- Weight: 1.1 oz / 31.2g
- Packaged in a wooden gift box with a leather pen wrap.
- Limited to 800 pieces worldwide.
- Made in Japan with full lifetime warranty.